Benign Positional Vertigo Treatment
Call 911 if the person loses consciousness or has:
- A head injury
- Chest pain
- Change in vision or speech
- Fever over 101º F
- Very stiff neck
- Inability to move an arm or leg
1. Relieve or Prevent Dizziness
- Have the person lie down and rest.
- The person should avoid sudden changes in body position.
- Help the person avoid abrupt head movements, especially looking up.
2. Keep the Person Safe
- Help the person avoid falls.
- The person should not drive or operate dangerous machinery.
3. Call a Health Care Provider
- Any new signs and symptoms of vertigo should be checked by a health care provider.
4. Follow Up
- The health care provider may do a physical exam, hearing and balance tests, and possibly a CT or MRI scan.
© 2013 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.