Black Eye Treatment
1. Treat Symptoms
- Apply ice to the area. Don't press on the eye.
- For pain, give acetaminophen (Tylenol). Don't give aspirin or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), because they can increase bleeding.
2. Get Medical Help
See a health care provider to make sure there is no further damage to the eye.
Call a health care provider immediately if:
- The person's vision is blurred, double, or lost in either eye.
- The person is in severe pain.
- You suspect a serious eye injury.
- There is drainage or bleeding on the white part of the eye or drainage from the eye.
- The eyeball looks abnormal.
- Skin around the eye is split or there is a cut on the eyelid.
3. Follow Up
- Continue icing the area several times a day for 1 or 2 days.
- After 1 or 2 days, apply warm compresses instead.