Broken Leg Treatment
Call 911 if:
- You think a thighbone is broken.
- A bone has punctured the skin.
For other breaks:
1. Reduce Swelling and Avoid Further Injury
- Keep the injured leg as still as possible. Do not let the person bear any weight on the leg.
- Keep the leg raised with pillows or cushions.
2. Seek Medical Care Immediately
- Take the person to see a health care provider. If you think a thighbone is broken or you are unable to move the person, call 911 and have the person taken to the hospital.
3. Follow Up
Treatment will depend on the nature of the injury.
- A health care provider will examine the person's leg and likely do an X-ray.
- The bone may be realigned and a splint, cast, or brace put on.