Dislocated Elbow Treatment
Call 911 if the arm:
- Is deformed
- Cannot be moved after injury
1. Don't Move the Elbow
- Moving the elbow or trying to put it back into place could cause more damage.
2. Treat Symptoms
- Apply ice to reduce swelling while waiting for medical care.
- Give acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) for pain.
3. Follow Up
- The health care provider will examine the arm, check for damage to arteries and nerves, and X-ray the area to check for a broken bone or dislocation.
- A simple dislocation can be realigned and stabilized in an emergency room using strong pain medication and possibly sedation medication.
- Sometimes surgery is needed.
© 2013 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.