Heat Stroke Treatment
Call 911 if the person has the following symptoms:
- Body temperature above 103° F
- Rapid pulse
- Reduced sweating
- Warm, red, dry skin
1. Call 911
Heat stroke is a medical emergency.
2. Lower Body Temperature Quickly
- Get the person out of the sun.
- Immerse the person in a cool bath, spray the person with cool water, or apply cold wet cloths to the armpits, neck, and groin. Fan air across the person to increase cooling. These methods help cool the person quickly.
- Continue cooling efforts until the person's body temperature drops to 101º to 102° F.
- Do not give the person anything to drink.
3. Treat Symptoms
- If the person experiences seizures, keep him or her safe from injury.
- If the person vomits, turn the person on his or her side to keep the airway open.
4. Follow Up
- At the hospital, health care providers will rehydrate the person and continue cooling as needed.