Hyphema (Bleeding in Eye) Treatment
1. Get Medical Help Immediately
- Call 911 or take the person to a hospital emergency room.
2. Protect the Eye
- Cover the eye with a clean cloth.
- Do not put pressure on the eyeball.
- Avoid giving aspirin or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin). They can make bleeding worse.
3. Follow Up
- A health care provider will examine the eye and prescribe treatment based on what's causing the bleeding and how severe it is. The person may need to use eye drops or wear a patch.
- Rarely, surgery is needed to relieve pressure in the eye.
© 2013 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.