Neck Strain Treatment
1. When to Seek Medical Care Immediately
See a doctor or go to a hospital emergency room if:
- An accident caused neck strain.
- Neck pain radiates down arms and legs.
- Headaches, numbness, tingling, or weakness occur with the pain.
2. Ease Muscle Spasms
- Apply dry or moist heat to the area.
3. Treat Pain
- Give pain medication, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin).
4. Avoid Unnecessary Neck Strain
- When the person is lying down, place a small pillow under the nape of the neck to align the head and neck.
5. Follow Up
- See a doctor if pain doesn't get better or worsens.