Heart Palpitations Treatment
Call 911 if palpitations occur with:
- Passing out
- Shortness of breath
- Pain, pressure, or tightness in the chest, neck, jaw, arms, or upper back
1. Take Steps to Reduce Heart Palpitations
- Leave a stressful situation and try to be calm. Anxiety, stress, fear, or panic can cause palpitations.
- Cut back on coffee, tea, chocolate, and colas if caffeine seems to cause palpitations.
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco products. Nicotine can cause palpitations.
- Don’t drink alcohol.
- Avoid illegal drugs, such as cocaine and amphetamines.
- Avoid medications that act like stimulants, such as cough and cold medicines or decongestants.
2. Follow Up
- Call your doctor for an appointment. Often, palpitations aren’t serious, but they can be related to abnormal heart valves, heart rhythm problems, or panic attacks.
- Always call a doctor if palpitations change in nature or increase suddenly.