Ruptured Tendon Treatment
1. Reduce Swelling and Prevent Injury
Use RICE method:
Rest the injured area and keep weight off it.
Compress injury by gently wrapping with an elastic bandage.
Elevate injured area above the person's heart level, if possible.
2. Relieve Pain
- Give an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol).
3. See a Doctor
- The person should see an orthopedic specialist as soon as possible.
4. Follow Up
- The doctor will examine the injured area and may do an X-ray, MRI, or other tests.
- The person may be given a sling, cast, crutches, or other device.
© 2011 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.