Ruptured Tendon Treatment
1. Reduce Swelling and Prevent Injury
Use RICE method:
- Rest the injured area and keep weight off it. Feeling pain is usually an indication that you are doing too much too soon.
- Ice the injured area to ease swelling.
- Compress injury by gently wrapping with an elastic bandage. Specialized braces from your health care provider can also be used to provide compression.
- Elevate injured area above the heart level, if possible.
2. Relieve Pain
- Give an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol).
3. See a Doctor
- The person should call his/her health care provider as soon as possible. An orthopedic specialist might be recommended.
4. Follow Up
- The doctor will examine the injured area and may do an X-ray, MRI, or other tests.
- The person may be given a sling, cast, crutches, brace, or other device.
- The person may be prescribed medications.
- The person may be referred for physical therapy or to a specialist, such as an orthopedic surgeon.
- Surgery may be needed.
© 2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.