Ruptured Tendon Treatment
1. Reduce Swelling and Prevent Injury
Use RICE method:
Rest the injured area and keep weight off it. Feeling pain is usually an indication that you are doing too much too soon.
Ice the injured area to ease swelling.
Compress injury by gently wrapping with an elastic bandage. Specialized braces from your health care provider can also be used to provide compression.
Elevate injured area above the heart level, if possible.
2. Relieve Pain
- Give an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol).
3. See a Doctor
- The person should call his/her health care provider as soon as possible. An orthopedic specialist might be recommended.
4. Follow Up
- The doctor will examine the injured area and may do an X-ray, MRI, or other tests.
- The person may be given a sling, cast, crutches, brace, or other device.
- The person may be prescribed medications.
- The person may be referred for physical therapy or to a specialist, such as an orthopedic surgeon.
- Surgery may be needed.
© 2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.