Shark Bite Treatment
1. Get Emergency Help
2. Control Bleeding
- Apply direct pressure to the wound.
3. Keep the Person Warm
4. Treat Shock
- If person has cool and clammy skin, weak and rapid pulse, or nausea or is faint or unconscious, see Shock Treatment.
5. For Minor Injury
- Clean wound with soap and water, and cover.
- Take the person to a medical clinic or emergency room for further cleaning.
- Even a minor wound must be carefully cleaned to avoid infection.
6. Follow Up
Medical treatment will depend on the severity of the injury.
- For a minor bite, the health care provider will clean the wound and may prescribe an antibiotic.
- For a serious injury, health care providers will stabilize the person's airway, breathing, and circulation. Surgery may be necessary.