Call 911 if:
- The injury was caused by a severe blow.
- The person's pulse is weak.
1. Get Medical Help Immediately
- See a doctor or go to a hospital emergency room.
2. Immobilize Shoulder
- Place person's forearm at right angle to chest.
- Apply sling and tie it around neck.
- To bind arm to body, wrap a towel around chest and arm and tie it under opposite arm.
3. Control Pain and Swelling
- Apply ice for 20 minutes. Remove to rewarm skin and reapply.
- Give pain reliever such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) to reduce pain and swelling.
4. Follow Up
- See a doctor if joint pain or swelling continues after 2 or 3 days.