Skier's Thumb Treatment
1. Treat Symptoms
- Apply ice to reduce swelling.
- Immobilize the thumb with an elastic bandage or brace.
- Give acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) for pain. Do not give aspirin to anyone under age 18.
2. See a Health Care Provider as Soon as Possible
3. Follow Up
- The health care provider will likely X-ray the person's thumb.
- A partially torn ligament will be immobilized with a splint or cast. A fully torn ligament may require surgery.
© 2013 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.