Bleeding Under Nail (Subungual Hematoma) Treatment
1. When to See a Health Care Provider
Go to an emergency room or call a health care provider immediately if:
- The finger or toe is deformed. It may be broken.
- A nearby joint was also injured.
- More than a quarter of the nail is discolored or there is continuing, intense pain.
- Signs of infection develop, such as pus, redness, or heat around the nail, or a red streak extends from the wound.
2. Reduce Swelling and Pain
If less than a quarter of the nail is discolored and pain is manageable, home treatment may be enough.
- For swelling, ice and elevate the area.
3. Follow Up
- If you seek medical help, the doctor may make a small hole in the nail to drain blood and reduce pressure. In some cases, the nail may need to be removed to treat injury.