Check Your Symptoms
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, click on the "Yes" in front of the question for information about how soon to see a health professional.
health risks that may increase the seriousness of your
If you have any of the following
symptoms, evaluate those symptoms first.
- Bruises on the head or face after a head
injury: Go to the topic
Head Injury, Age 3 and Younger or
Head Injury, Age 4 and Older.
- Bruises on the abdomen after an
injury to the abdomen: Go to the topic
Abdominal Pain, Age 11 and Younger or
Abdominal Pain, Age 12 and Older.
on the chest after an injury to the chest: Go to the topic
- A bruise or blood spot under a
fingernail: Go to the topic
Nail Problems and Injuries.
- Bleeding: Go to the topic
- Blood in your eye after
an injury to the eye: Go to the topic
- Bruises and moderate to severe pain and swelling
after an injury: Go to the most closely related topic listed below:
- Arm Injuries
- Facial Injuries
- Finger, Hand, and Wrist Injuries
- Hip Problems and Injuries, Age 11 and Younger
- Hip Problems and Injuries, Age 12 and Older
- Knee Problems and Injuries
- Leg Injuries
- Nose Injuries
- Shoulder Problems and Injuries
- Toe, Foot, and Ankle Injuries
- Male Genital Problems and Injuries
- A scrape, puncture, cut, burn, or bite: Go to the
Animal and Human Bites.
Do you have bruises or blood spots under the skin and other signs of abnormal bleeding?
Do you have an unexplained increase in the number or size of bruises or red blood spots under the skin?
Do you think your bruises are caused by a medicine?
Do you think bruises may have been caused by abuse?
Do you think you have a skin infection?
Did a large bruise develop within 30 minutes of an injury?
Do you bruise easily, or do your bruises seem to last a long time?
If a visit to a health professional is not needed immediately, see the Home Treatment section for self-care information.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
December 04, 2012
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.