Poisoning - Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your
doctor treat poisoning by being prepared to answer the following questions. Be
sure to bring the poisonous substance with you.
- What substance do you suspect was
- When did the poisoning occur?
- Was the
substance swallowed, inhaled, spilled on the skin, or splashed in the
- Have you ever been treated for a poisoning in the past? What
was the substance? How long ago? How was the poisoning treated?
much of the substance was involved?
- What symptoms are
- How long have symptoms been present?
- Have you called a poison control center? What advice did they give? Did it
- What home treatment measures have been
- Have any nonprescription medicines been taken? What effect
did they have?
- What prescription and nonprescription medicines do
- Were alcohol or drugs involved in the
- Do you have any
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
September 09, 2011
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.