Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

First Aid & Emergencies

Font Size

Swallowed Button Disc Battery, Magnet, or Object With Lead - Topic Overview

Button disc batteries

Button disc batteries are found in watches, cameras, calculators, hearing aids, and computer games. They are easily swallowed by children. These batteries, which contain corrosive fluids, can come apart when swallowed and quickly damage tissue. Some batteries contain potentially life-threatening amounts of mercury.

A disc battery can cause burning, corrosion, or complete destruction of tissue in the upper digestive tract when swallowed. Damage can occur rapidly and is likely to be worse if the battery lodges in the esophagus instead of moving into the stomach. Battery fluid can eat through the lining of the stomach, causing pain and tenderness in the belly, nausea, and fever.

Recommended Related to First Aid

Acute Asthma Attack Treatment for Children

Having a hard time breathing Constantly coughing Unable to talk, eat, or play Vomiting Turning blue in the lips or fingers Convulsing while breathing (using stomach muscles excessively to breathe)

Read the Acute Asthma Attack Treatment for Children article > >

If you think someone has swallowed a disc battery:

  • Do not cause (induce) vomiting.
  • Call your doctor immediately to arrange for care.
    • If your doctor is not immediately available, go to a hospital emergency room.
    • Medical treatment is usually needed within 1 hour of swallowing a battery.


Magnets are often found in toys and magnetic play sets. Magnets can be easily swallowed. They can stick to the bowel and cause a blockage or a hole to form. If more than one magnet is swallowed, they could stack together or magnetically join across loops of the intestines and cause serious problems.

Swallowing a magnet may cause symptoms similar to other abdominal problems, such as feeling sick to the stomach (nausea), vomiting, belly pain, or diarrhea.

If you think someone has swallowed a magnet:

  • Do not cause (induce) vomiting.
  • Call your doctor to discuss the problem. Medical treatment may be needed.

Objects with lead

Objects that contain a lot of lead (such as bullets, buckshot, fishing weights and sinkers, and some toys) also can cause problems if swallowed.

Lead poisoning may cause behavior changes, lack of energy, or headaches.

If you think someone has swallowed an object with a lot of lead:

  • Do not cause (induce) vomiting.
  • Call your doctor to discuss the problem. Medical treatment may be needed.

    WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise

    Last Updated: November 14, 2014
    This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
    Next Article:

    Swallowed Button Disc Battery, Magnet, or Object With Lead Topics

    Today on WebMD

    Antibiotic on hand
    3d scan of fractured skull
    Father putting ointment on boy's face
    Person taking food from oven
    sniffling child
    wound care true or false
    caring for wounds
    Harvest mite

    Pollen counts, treatment tips, and more.

    It's nothing to sneeze at.

    Loading ...

    Sending your email...

    This feature is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.


    Now check your email account on your mobile phone to download your new app.

    WebMD the app

    Get first aid information. Whenever. Wherever... with your iPhone, iPad or Android.

    Find Out More