Do this exercise slowly. Try to keep your body straight at all times, and don't let one hip drop lower than the other.
- Start on the floor, on your hands and knees.
- Tighten your stomach muscles.
- Raise one leg off the floor and hold it straight out behind you. Be careful not to let your hip drop down, because that will twist your trunk.
- Hold for about 6 seconds, then lower your leg and switch to the other leg.
- Repeat 8 to 12 times on each leg.
- Over time, work up to holding for 10 to 30 seconds each time.
- If you feel stable and secure with your leg raised, try raising the opposite arm straight out in front of you at the same time.