5 Yoga Poses to Get Jennifer Aniston's Body
Instructor Mandy Ingber shares her secrets to sculpting one of Hollywood's hottest stars.
4. Tree Pose
Targets abs and thighs
Stand straight, shifting your body weight on to your right foot with your knee up to your chest. Turn your knee to the side and press the sole of your foot to your inner thigh or calf, depending on your flexibility. Put your palms together, extending to the crown of your head. Hold it for 5-10 breaths.
5. Reclining Pigeon
Targets chest and thighs
Lie back with your knees bent and the soles of your feet on the floor. Cross your left ankle over your right knee and flex your foot, then draw your right knee in toward your chest. Wrap around your hamstring and gently draw your knee towards the chest. You'll feel the stretch of your left hip.
More Tips from Mandy:
- "Make it fun by adding your favorite music," suggests Ingber, who plays tunes with Aniston. "Yoga doesn't have to be completely silent."
- Before you start any routine, take three long deep breaths. "Breath is the bridge from the mind to the body, so the place you set your mind affects your body," she says.
- Practice control. This extends into all aspects of life, including diet. Aniston, Ingber says, "is about the only person I know who can eat three chips," but having restraint is key.
- "Never force a stretch or a pose," she warns. "Simply allow your body to move to its edge."
- Pay attention to opposing forces. "There are three energies in each pose," she says. "Gravity sinking you down, inspiration extending upward, and the center point."
Originally published June 22, 2010
Related content on marieclare.com