Fitness for Couch Potatoes
Tune in and tone up with our TV-watching workout
Finally, says Jeff Ball, author of Get Fit While You Sit, remember
that even workouts at home need to be done properly. He offers these guidelines
to help you get the most out of your TV workout:
- If something hurts any part of your body, STOP. You may need to adjust your
form to eliminate the problem. If that doesn't work, try a different
- Remember to breathe at all times. Holding your breath makes exercising more
difficult and could even result in injury.
- Practice each movement before a mirror before you start.
- Be aware of your spinal position, and keep your neck in a neutral
- Try to keep muscles that you're not trying to work relaxed. For example, if
you are doing a leg lift, it does no good to contract the muscles of your
- Do all exercises in a slow, controlled fashion.
- Choose a sturdy chair with adequate back support.
Now, where did I put that TV Guide?