High-Intensity Workouts to Burn Calories
Don't plan on reading a magazine while you do these workouts. You're entering a no-slacking zone.
Quick CrossFit Series continued...
Body Weight Blast
As fast as you can, do 10 squats, 10 pushups, and 10 full sit-ups. Then do nine reps of each. Then eight, seven, six, and so forth, until you reach one rep of each exercise. Rest as little as possible between sets. Record your time, and try to improve each week.
If you only have a little time, try to do 100 burpees. If that's too much, start with 25, then move to 50, then to 75, until you can do 100.
Begin in a squat position with your hands on the floor, in front.
- Kick back your feet to a pushup position.
- Return your feet to the squat position.
- Jump from the squat position into the air, straight above you.
- Repeat, moving as fast as possible.
Rowing or Indoor Cycling
You may be sitting down, but you'll be sweating when you try this workout from Scott Nohejl, head coach and program director of The Chatham Area Rowing Association in Savannah, GA.
- Row or bike for a minute.
- Sprawl with pushup. Run in place, with your feet just coming off the ground, for a count of five. Lower yourself onto your hands, and jump your legs backward to a pushup position. Do one pushup, then bring the legs back, tucking them in. Stand and repeat for 1 minute.
- Squats. With hands on top of your head, squat so your knees are at 90 degrees -- make sure they do not go past your toes -- and then stand up. Repeat for 1 minute.
- Side jumps. With feet together, toes pointed forward, jump from side to side for 1 minute.
- Rest for 5 minutes.
- Row or bike for 1 minute.
- Scissor jumps. With one leg in front and the other in back, jump and "scissor" your legs before landing. Do this for 1 minute.
- Sumo jumps. Squat down, then jump, bringing your feet slightly off the ground. Do this for 1 minute.
- Jumping jacks. Do these for 1 minute.
Repeat the full set four times, nonstop, for a 16-minute workout. Cool down, and then stretch.