Quick Weight Loss or Quackery?
Even smart people fall prey to quick weight loss gimmicks. WebMD explains why.
The Damage and What to Do About It continued...
The experts interviewed by WebMD also recommend concentrating
on weight-management strategies that are proven to work, such as incorporating
a balanced diet with reduced calories with a regular exercise regimen. Some
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Foods high in fiber such as whole
grain breads, fruit, and cereal can help you feel full longer.
- Exercise. Get 30 minutes of physical activity a day even if you must
split it in 10-minute increments throughout the day. Try to exercise on most
days of the week; choose an activity you enjoy. Start slowly and then add more
days as tolerated.
- Be accepting. Accept your body the way it is.
- Maintain. Instead of having a goal to lose weight, think of not
gaining it, says Anderson.
- Be aware of your mind and body while you exercise. Cotton says it
helps not to read magazines or watch TV while working out. "When you're
present, you're better able to make decisions about your habits ... and your
true needs," he says.