Interval Workout continued...
4. Overhead Presses: Do 15 or 20 overhead presses with the weights, pushing them straight up and directly over your shoulders.
5. Sprint: Get back on the treadmill and sprint for 30 seconds (no incline). The goal is to be at 80% of your maximum heart rate. To recover, decrease your speed to 3.0 and walk for one minute.
6. Tricep Extensions: Using dumbbells, do one set of 15 or 20 overhead tricep extensions. Your elbows should point toward the ceiling, with the weights behind your head. Lift the weights directly above your head and back down again.
7. Pushups: Do one set of 15 pushups, with your elbows at a 90-degree angle from the body. Modification: Do the pushups with your knees on the ground, but do 25 instead of 15.
8. Sprint: Back to the treadmill. Sprint for 1 minute, aiming for 70% of your maximum heart rate. To recover, jog for 90 seconds.
9. Jumping Jacks: Do one set of 15 or 20 jumping jacks. If you're strong enough, add two 10- or 15-pound dumbbells. Lift up the weights when you jump out, in an overhead press position, pulling them back down to shoulder height as your legs go back together.
10. Finale: Incline your treadmill to an angle that really challenges you -- but don't hang onto the treadmill's rails. Walk at a 2.0-3.5 speed for 30 seconds, aiming for 60% of your maximum heart rate. To recover, bring the treadmill down to a 1.0 incline and drop your speed to 1.9 or 2.0 for a 1-minute walk. Finish by stretching.
Quick CrossFit Series
CrossFit workouts are about getting maximum effort in minimum time.
The following exercises come from Doug Katona, co-founder and owner of CrossFit Endurance in Newport Beach, CA. They can be done on their own, all together, or in any combination.
- Warm up for 10-12 minutes, finishing the warm-up at 75% of your maximum heart rate or at 7.5 on the perceived exertion scale, in which 0 is no effort and 10 is your max.
- Choose any type of cardio. Do it at your maximum effort for 30 seconds.
- Stop and recover for 2 minutes, or for 90 seconds if you're already in good condition. Do not shortchange the rest period.
- Do this up to three times.