Yes, you can get fit without stepping foot in a fitness club.
No time to get to the gym? Signing up for a membership isn't in the budget? Don't sweat it. You can get a good workout without setting foot in a fitness center.
"Working out shouldn't be a hassle," says David Kirsch, personal trainer and founder of the Madison Square Club in New York City, whose celebrity clients include Heidi Klum, Kate Upton, and Kerry Washington. "Being able to take your workout with you makes it more fun." Kirsch suggests three basic moves that can be done anytime and anywhere with zero equipment. Aim to complete the circuit at least four times per week.
You'll tone your waistline with this move, which works the internal and external obliques, the muscles on the sides of your abs.
1. Lie on your right side with your knees bent.
2. Place your right arm on the floor in front of you and your left hand behind your head.
3. Keeping your knees together, raise your knees toward the ceiling as high as you can, bringing your left shoulder toward your knees.
4. Hold for 3 seconds.
5. Return to the starting position.
6. Do 15 reps.
7. Repeat the move on the opposite side.
Plié Toe Squats
In this twist on a traditional squat, you'll work your calves, thighs, and glutes. "It's a great move if you love to wear skirts and want sexy, toned legs," Kirsch says.
1. Stand with your feet a little more than hip-width apart, toes turned slightly out, and hands on your hips.
2. Keeping your spine straight, lower your body as if you were going to sit in a chair.
3. While you're lowering into the squat, lift your heels off the floor.
4. Hold 5 seconds.
5. Return to a standing position, keeping your heels lifted off the floor.
6. Do 15 reps.