Contract your stomach muscles during this stretch so you do not arch your back.
- Lie on your side with one hand supporting your head.
- Bend your upper leg back, and grab your ankle with your hand.
- Stretch your leg back. Be sure your calf is lined up with your thigh so that your knee is not twisted.
- Hold the stretch for at least 15 to 30 seconds, then relax.
- Repeat 2 to 4 times on each leg.
- Lie on the floor. Extend your left leg out straight with your toes pointing up. If your back is uncomfortable, use a rolled washcloth or small towel for support.
- Bend your right knee. Gently pull your leg toward you as you straighten your knee. You should feel a gentle stretch down the back of your leg.
- Hold each stretch 15 to 30 seconds.
- Repeat 2 to 4 times for each leg.
Primary Medical ReviewerWilliam H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Specialist Medical ReviewerFreddie H. Fu, MD - Orthopedic Surgery
Current as ofJune 4, 2014