The colorful combination of sugar snap peas, red bell pepper and carrot plus an Asian-inspired flavors make this side dish a pleasure to whip up for a weeknight dinner.
Yield: 4 servings, 3/4 cup each
Total Time: 20
Prep Time: 20
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed (about 2 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips (about 1 cup)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place peas, bell pepper and carrot in a steamer basket over 2 inches of boiling water in a saucepan. Cover and steam, stirring once, until crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Toss with soy sauce, oil, sesame seeds and pepper.
Per serving: 78 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 118 mg sodium; 245 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (90% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges:1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat (mono)
Special Health Considerations:
Healthy Weight - Low Sodium - Low Cholesterol - Low Sat Fat - High Fiber - Low Carb - Low Calorie - Heart Healthy - Diabetes Appropriate - Gluten Free Diet