Seafood Pasta Salad
Journal as: 1 entrÃ©e salad with meat/fish with light dressing + 1/2 cup starches without fat.
A recipe posted on "The Recipe Doctor" message board by one of our own wonderful Weight Loss Clinic members ("evlw") inspired this light recipe. If you want four servings, double the ingredients.
6 ounces cooked shrimp (deveined and without tails), or crabmeat or imitation crabmeat
2 cups cooked, whole-wheat blend pasta, cooled
2 celery heart stalks, finely chopped
2 finely chopped green onions, white and green parts
1/4 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup plain yogurt (whole or low-fat)
2 tablespoons bottled light Caesar dressing (or light Italian dressing)
Black pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon dill (optional)
- Add seafood, pasta, celery, green onion, and red pepper to medium serving bowl.
- In small bowl or 1 cup measure, add yogurt and Caesar dressing and whip together with fork or whisk. Add black pepper and dill to taste, if desired. Stir into serving bowl with pasta and seafood and serve!
Yield: 2 servings
Per serving: 316 calories, 27 g protein, 42 g carbohydrate, 5.4 g fat (1.5 g saturated fat, 0.6 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat), 170 mg cholesterol, 6.1 g fiber, 409 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 15%.
Mediterranean Chicken Salad
Journal as: 1 entrÃ©e salad with meat with light salad dressing + 1/2 cup vegetables with no added fat + 1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup dried orzo (rice-shaped pasta), about 3
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons water or condensed chicken broth
3 tablespoons vinegar of your choice (rice, tarragon, balsamic, etc.)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon (optional)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Pepper to taste (add salt to taste if you wish)
3 cups diced cooked chicken breast (about 4 breasts, or the meat shredded from a rotisserie chicken)
1 1/3 cup cherry tomato halves
6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, well-drained, rinsed, and chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped kalamata olives
1/4 cup dried currants (optional)
1 1/2 tablespoons drained capers
4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts* (optional)
- Cook orzo in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to the bite (about 8 minutes). Rinse under cold water, drain well, and let cool. Put in a medium bowl.
- Add olive oil, tomato paste, water, vinegar, fresh tarragon, lemon juice, and mustard to a small bowl or food processor, and pulse or whisk to blend well. Season dressing to taste with pepper and salt, if desired.
- Add chicken to cooked orzo along with tomatoes, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, currants, and capers. Drizzle dressing over the top, and toss.
- Serve each large scoop of chicken salad on a bed of romaine or spinach leaves, and sprinkle toasted pine nuts over the top.