Smoked Almond Goat Cheese Olive Appetizers
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 2 olives
How can just three ingredients taste so good?
2/3 cup chopped smoked almonds
8 ounces goat cheese
32 Spanish green olives, stuffed with pimiento
- Add almonds to a small food processor or a nut chopper and pulse briefly to chop. Pour into a small bowl.
- Cut the goat cheese into 8 equal pieces, then cut each of these pieces into 4 equal pieces (each piece will be about 1/4 ounce).
- Wrap each olive with a 1/4-ounce piece of goat cheese and shape into a small ball. Roll into the chopped almonds and place in a container. Repeat with remaining cheese, olives, and almonds. Once the container is filled, cover and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Just place them on a serving tray and insert toothpicks.
Yield: 16 servings (if 2 olive appetizers per person)
Pesto Parmesan Cheese Bites
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 serving of low-fat crackers OR 1 slice of bread
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons water, warm or room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh, finely chopped basil (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 tablespoon fresh, finely chopped oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 ounce (1 packet) rapid rise or bread machine yeast
6 tablespoons store-bought or homemade pesto
6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Add water, molasses, olive oil, garlic, basil, and oregano to bread machine pan (unless a different order is recommended by manufacturer). Add both types of flour to pan, and add the salt in one of the corners. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast.
- Select the DOUGH cycle and press start. After a minute or so of mixing, look into the bread machine pan. If it looks like the dough needs a teaspoon or two of water, add that now.
- When the dough cycle is complete, about 1 hour and 40 minutes, divide dough into 8 pieces. Cut each of these pieces into 6 small pieces.
- Coat mini muffins cups with canola or olive oil cooking spray and press each small piece of dough into the muffin cup to make a bit of a shell. Spoon a slightly heaping 1/4 teaspoon of pesto into the center and sprinkle a slightly heaping 1/4 teaspoon of shredded Parmesan over the top of each.
- Bake the bread bites in a 400-degree oven until crust is golden brown, about 12 minutes.
Yield: 24 servings (2 bites per serving)