Eggcellent Salad Sandwich continued...
2. Add to the dressing: eggs, celery, red pepper, and parsley. Toss gently.
3. Cover and refrigerate egg salad for 30 minutes to blend flavors.
4. Make the sandwiches: Place equal amounts of egg salad on four slices
of toast. Garnish with greens and red onion,
and top with remaining toast. Slice each sandwich in half and serve.
Per serving: 314 calories, 19 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 294 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 386 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 34%.
Eggs get the Southwestern treatment in these warming enchiladas. Serve them as a healthy brunch entrée or a tasty light supper.
Makes 8 servings
1 15.5 oz can low-sodium tomato sauce
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
8 large eggs
¼ cup low-fat milk
⅓ cup chopped green onions
3 tbsp diced green chili peppers
8 6-inch fat-free flour or corn tortillas
1 15.5 oz can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
6 oz (1½ cup) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 avocado, sliced into
¼ cup light sour cream
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce with garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin. Set aside.
2. Beat eggs with milk until combined. Heat a large, nonstick skillet, coated with cooking spray, over medium heat. Add eggs, onions, and chilies. Scramble eggs until they're just cooked and still moist.
3. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray, and spread 2–3 tbsp sauce on the bottom of the dish. Set aside.
4. Assemble enchiladas: On each tortilla, spoon 1/8 of the beans and scrambled eggs in a line down the center. Top with 1½ tbsp shredded cheese. Roll each tortilla and place seam-side down in the prepared baking dish. Pour remaining tomato sauce over enchiladas.
5. Cover dish and bake 20 minutes at 350 F. Remove cover, top enchiladas with remaining cheese, and bake 5–7 minutes more until cheese melts.
6. Serve enchiladas garnished with avocado, sour cream, and cilantro.
Per serving:266 calories, 17 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 191 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 284 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%.