5-Ingredient Recipes continued...
Yield: 4 servings
5-Ingredient Fettuccine Alfredo
If you want to make this into chicken fettuccine, just stir in 1-2 cups diced skinless, grilled chicken breast. To make it mushroom fettuccine, stir in a cup of sauteed mushrooms.
8 ounces whole-wheat or whole-wheat blend fettuccine noodles (or similar)
1 tablespoon whipped butter
1 cup fat-free half-and-half (or low-fat milk)
3/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese (plus more for garnish, if desired)
Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
4 pinches ground nutmeg OR 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In large nonstick saucepan, cook pasta until al dente. Drain pasta and set aside in a medium bowl.
- In same nonstick saucepan, melt butter until golden brown and fragrant. Stir in the fat-free half-and-half and grated cheese; bring mixture just to a simmer. Stir in drained noodles and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve each portion with parsley or ground nutmeg sprinkled over the top.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition Information: Per serving: 362 calories, 19 g protein, 48 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 470 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 25%.
Easy Spanish Tortilla
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 pound red or yellow potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch slices (about 1 1/3 cups)
1/2 cup thinly sliced bell pepper (red, orange or yellow)
1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet or yellow onion
1 cup Egg Beaters with yolk (or any of the flavored Egg Beater options like Cheese & Chives), OR use 2 eggs blended with 1/2 cup of egg substitute
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In medium, nonstick 9- or 10-inch skillet or frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add potato slices, bell pepper and onion. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Cover skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are crisp (8-10 minutes.)
- Pour egg substitute over vegetables in skillet and gently stir to help the egg reach every nook and cranny of the skillet. Cover skillet and continue to cook over LOW heat (or simmer, if your stove runs hot) until tortilla is set (about 8 minutes). Cut tortilla into 4 wedges and serve.