Salads are an easy way to minimize calories at a meal, and maximize nutrients.
We love topping greens with chicken or lean beef to make a salad hearty enough to be a main course. Browse through these salad recipes to choose your main dish, then pick from the suggested side dishes, desserts or drinks to round out your 500-calorie meal.
- Mixed Lettuce Salad with Cucumber Herb Vinaigrette
- Claire's Mixed Green Salad with Feta Vinaigrette
- Baby Greens with Spicy Mediterranean Vinaigrette
- Spinach Salad with Japanese Ginger Dressing
- Japanese Cucumber Salad
- Creamy Chopped Cauliflower Salad
- Hot & Sour Slaw
- Melon, Tomato & Onion Salad with Goat Cheese
- Roasted Apple & Cheddar Salad
- Chopped Greek Salad with Chicken
- Grapefruit Chicken Satay Salad
- Spinach & Beet Salad with Chicken
- Smoky Ham & Corn Salad
- Thai Beef Salad
- Asian-Style Grilled Tofu with Greens
Mixed Lettuce Salad with Cucumber Herb Vinaigrette
Keep your salads interesting by experimenting with different types of greens. Here, mild and delicate oak leaf and baby romaine lettuces pair wonderfully with peppery radishes and chopped hard-boiled eggs.
- Mixed Lettuce Salad with Cucumber Herb Vinaigrette (83 calories)
Followed by either:
Topped off with one of these:
- Fast Strawberry Frozen Yogurt (100 calories)
- White wine (5-ounce glass) (116 calories)
Claire's Mixed Green Salad with Feta Vinaigrette
Sweet cherry tomatoes make a satisfying "pop" in your mouth. Pair them with salty feta vinaigrette and spicy arugula and you have a winning combination. Adapted from Chef Steven Obranovich of Claire's Restaurant in Hardwick, Vermont.
- Claire's Mixed Green Salad with Feta Vinaigrette (165 calories)
Paired with one of these:
Baby Greens with Spicy Mediterranean Vinaigrette
Watching your weight doesn't mean you're stuck with Spartan salads. This one feels positively indulgent, with sweet-tart cranberries, smoky cheese, crunchy croutons and a spicy-sweet dressing.
Baby Greens with Spicy Mediterranean Vinaigrette (183 calories)
With a choice of either:
Served with one of these:
- Garlic & Herb Pita Chips (117 calories)
- Toasted whole-grain baguette (2 inches) (132 calories)