This is a very popular potluck recipe in some areas of the United States. Now you have a lighter version to bring, and no one will be the wiser.
- 8 cups Romaine or green leaf lettuce, shredded
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms or carrots
- 1 1/2 cups kidney or garbanzo beans, canned, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, run cold water over them in a strainer to partially thaw
- 6 tablespoons light mayo
- 6 tablespoons light or nonfat sour cream
- 6 tablespoons low-fat milk or fat-free half-and-half
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crumbled oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, packed
- 1/4 cup less-fat bacon bits, optional
- Step 1
- Assemble the first five layers in a 9x13-inch glass dish.
- Step 2
- In a separate bowl, beat dressing ingredients together with wire whisk. Spread over the top layer in the glass dish with a spatula.
- Step 3
- Sprinkle cheese and bacon bits (if desired) evenly over the top of salad. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.