1 3/4 cup
unsalted butter, cold, cubed
heavy cream, can substitute with low-fat heavy cream
cream, for brushing on top
2 1/2 to 3 pints
strawberries, fresh, rinsed, hulled, and sliced
chopped crystallized ginger, or to taste optional
honey, to taste
nonfat Greek yogurt
sanding or granulated sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender until butter is size of peas. Stir cream and yogurt together in a second bowl, add to flour mixture, and blend with a fork just until dough comes together.
- Pat out dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle about 1-inch thick. Using a 2 1/2-inch round cutter, cut out as many shortcakes as possible and place them on prepared baking sheet. Gently press scraps into a 1-inch-thick circle and cut remaining biscuits. (Note: Avoid twisting the cutter into the dough. That will seal the sides and prevent the shortcakes from rising as high as they should.)
- Brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix strawberries with crystallized ginger, and a little bit of honey, if you like. Stir a little honey into the Greek yogurt, as well. When shortcakes are cool enough to handle, split each one in half horizontally. On each bottom half, spoon a small dollop of yogurt, then top with strawberry mixture; repeat with a little more yogurt, then more strawberries. Replace the tops of each shortcake, and serve.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to