WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 30
Frances Van Vynckt, 78, combined dates, toasted rice cereal and coconut into an easy no-bake treat that won EatingWell’s 2008 cookie contest.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dates, (8 ounces), chopped pitted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups toasted rice cereal,, such as Rice Krispie
- 1 cup coconut, shredded
- Step 1
- Combine butter, sugar and dates in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until the butter is melted, the sugar is no longer white and the dates are mostly melted, 8 to 15 minutes. The mixture should be a shiny, brown sticky mass. Remove from the heat.
- Step 2
- Add salt, vanilla, cereal and coconut; stir well to combine.
- Step 3
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze and roll the mixture into 1-inch balls. Place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until chilled.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com