This is an easy brunch or dessert dish you can throw together with some frozen cranberries and a few Granny Smith apples. The oats and fruit make this a higher-fiber treat.
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 6 tablespoons unbleached white flour, plus 2 teaspoons
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons no-trans-fat margarine, with 8 grams of fat
- 3 tablespoon reduced-calorie pancake syrup, divided
- 3 large Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, finely chopped
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch-deep round or square baking dish with canola cooking spray.
- Step 2
- Add oats, 6 tablespoons flour, 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt, margarine and 1 tablespoon syrup to small food processor bowl. Pulse briefly just until blended and moist clumps form. Cover and keep in the refrigerator until needed.
- Step 3
- Combine apples, cranberries, 2 tablespoons syrup,1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, 2 teaspoons flour and orange zest in a large bowl and toss well to blend. Spread evenly into prepared baking dish.
- Step 4
- Bake the fruit filling for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven and crumble the topping evenly over the top. Bake about 25 minutes more or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.