Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 bulb garlic, trim 1/4 inch off the top
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise, or substitute fat-free
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 4 medium artichokes
- black pepper to taste
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the garlic bulb on a piece of foil and drizzle olive oil over the top (the cut side) of the bulb. Wrap foil around the garlic bulb, sealing it at the top. Place in oven for 30-40 minutes or until garlic is soft and roasted. Let cool about 15 minutes.
- Step 2
- Squeeze into a custard cup all of the garlic cloves from their bulbs by pressing with your hands from the bottom of the bulbs to the top (cut side). Add the mayonnaise and sour cream, and stir with fork to blend well. Add black pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Step 3
- Meanwhile, cut the artichokes lengthwise -- from the stem to the tip of the artichoke. Place artichoke halves in a large, microwave-safe container with 1/2 cup of water. Microwave on HIGH until tender (about 15 minutes). Carve out the inedible thistle part of the artichoke with a small spoon and discard
- Step 4
- Serve each artichoke half with a small dab of the roasted garlic dipping sauce in the center cavity.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.