Grilled eggplant is pureed along with garlic, lemon juice and tahini to make a lighter version of the classic Middle Eastern dip. If you can’t find ground sumac for the garnish, chopped pistachios are traditional as well. Serve with pita wedges or use as a spread for sandwiches.
- 2 medium eggplants, about 1 pound each
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- extra-virgin olive oil, for garnish
- ground sumac, for garnish
- Step 1
- Preheat grill to high.
- Step 2
- Prick eggplants all over with a fork. Thread garlic cloves onto a skewer. Grill the eggplants, turning occasionally, until charred and tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Grill the garlic, turning once, until charred and tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Step 3
- Transfer the eggplants and garlic to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, peel both. Transfer to a food processor. Add lemon juice, tahini and salt; process until almost smooth. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sumac, if desired.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com