- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas, about 3 large
- 1/3 cups sugar-substitute, or other sugar alternative for baking
- 1/3 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk or fat-free half-and-half, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 large egg higher omega-3, if available
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted or toasted macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup flaked or shredded coconut
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- Step 2
- Whisk whole-wheat and white flours, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg together in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Step 3
- Add bananas, sugar-substitute and brown sugar, canola oil, milk, and egg to another large mixing bowl and beat or stir until completely blended. Pour banana mixture into the dry ingredients in mixing bowl and stir until just combined.
- Step 4
- Fold in macadamia nuts and coconut. Fill each muffin cup using a 1/4-cup measuring cup. Bake until muffins are golden brown and tester inserted in center comes out clean (about 25 minutes).
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.