- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, slightly packed
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, (toast by heating in nonstick skillet on medium heat, stirring often, until golden brown)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch salt, (optional)
- 10 inch-thick slices French or sourdough bread, preferably made with part whole-wheat flour
- Step 1
- Put all of the ingredients except the bread in a small food processor. Pulse briefly to blend well.
- Step 2
- Spread about 1/2 tablespoon spread on each bread slice and place on foil-lined cookie sheet.
- Step 3
- Broil about 6 inches from heat, watching carefully, until spread is bubbly and lightly brown (two-three minutes).
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.