The subtly sweet peanut sauce blends deliciously in this beef, cabbage and carrot sauté. Spice up the dish with a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce. Serve with udon noodles.
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 small head Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2-5 tablespoons water
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped, optional
- Step 1
- Whisk peanut butter, orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Step 2
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add steak and cook, stirring, until browned and barely pink in the middle, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Step 3
- Reduce heat to medium. Swirl in the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add cabbage and 2 tablespoons water; cook, stirring, until beginning to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots (and more water if necessary to prevent sticking or burning) and cook, stirring, until just tender, about 3 minutes more. Return the steak and any accumulated juices to the pan, then pour in the peanut sauce and toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with peanuts (if using).
- Tip: For thinly sliced beef, freeze for 30 minutes to make it easier to cut into very thin slices.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com