Slightly tangy, refreshing, and simple to prepare, this crimson soup is an elegant way to enjoy berries. Serve it warm or chilled for dessert or as a first course. It will keep for up to 2 days in a covered container in the refrigerator.
- 1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup hulled and sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/4 cup red wine, preferably a fruity wine, such as Zinfandel; may substitute wine with grape juice
- thin lemon slices, for garnish
- Step 1
- Combine all ingredients, except wine and lemon slices, in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and let cool until warm.
- Step 2
- Remove and discard the cinnamon stick and stir in the wine or grape juice.
- Step 3
- Serve immediately. Or refrigerate in a covered container until chilled, at least 4 hours, before serving. Garnish each serving with a lemon slice.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.