7 Not-So-Healthy Snacks continued...
6. Chicken Nuggets
They may seem like a good snack choice because they're high in protein (14 grams). But there are ways to get your protein without all the extra fat, saturated fat, and sodium.
- Tyson Fun Nuggets, 4 pieces: 230 calories, 15 g total fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 410 mg sodium
- Banquet Chicken Nuggets, 5 pieces: 210 calories, 12 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 490 mg sodium
- Fast Fixin’ Chicken Breast Nuggets, 6 pieces: 200 calories, 11 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 670 mg sodium
7. Cheese and Club Crackers
One serving probably won't fill you up since these crackers are low in water, volume, protein, and fiber. So you’ll probably double the serving -- which means your snack now contains double the calories, grams of fat, saturated fat, and milligrams of sodium.
- Ritz Bits made with cheese, 1.5 oz single serving: 220 calories, 13 g total fat, 4.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 480 mg sodium
- Cheez-It Baked Snack Crackers, 27 crackers, about 1 oz: 150 calories, 8 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 230 mg sodium
- Dare Breton Original, 5 crackers: 110 calories, 5 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 190 mg sodium
- Keebler Club Crackers, 1 ounce: 140 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 250 mg sodium
- Pepperidge Farm Baked Naturals Cheese Crisps Four Cheese Medley, 20 pieces: 140 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 270 mg sodium
8 Healthy Snacks to Try Instead
1. Toasted 100% Whole Wheat English Muffin With Peanut Butter
You'll find at least two brands of 100% whole wheat English muffin (Oroweat and Thomas) in most supermarkets. Toasted and spread with some natural-style peanut butter (the type that just contains peanuts and a little salt), these make a satisfying snack with 10 grams protein and 5 grams of fiber.
- 100% whole wheat English muffin with1 tablespoon natural-style peanut butter: 240 calories, 9.5 g total fat, 1.2 g saturated fat, 5 g fiber, 325 mg sodium