This is a light rendition of that colorful and tasty party staple, the spinach-dip-stuffed sourdough round. You can make the dip and carve out the sourdough round a day ahead of time. Keep the bread in an extra-large resealable bag and the dip, covered, in the refrigerator. Then fill the bread "bowl" with dip just before the party. (If you like, skip the bread bowl and serve with slices of whole-wheat sourdough or French bread, or with whole-grain crackers.)
- 1/3 cup real mayonnaise
- 2 1/3 cups fat-free or light sour cream
- 1 box dry leek soup mix, (or vegetable soup mix, 1.8 ounces)
- 1 pound round loaf of sourdough bread, (or similar type)
- 1 cup jicama, finely chopped, or substitute a 4 ounce can of water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 10 ounce package frozen, chopped spinach, (thaw, drain, and squeeze out excess water)
- Step 1
- In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, leek soup mix, jicama, and chopped spinach. Chill in the refrigerator 6 hours or overnight.
- Step 2
- Remove top and interior of sourdough bread round, making a bowl. Fill with spinach mixture. Cut the carved-out bread top into bite-sized cubes for dipping. Serve the spinach dip-filled bread bowl with the bread cubes.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.