Make a higher-nutrient side dish by blending mashed cauliflower with mashed potatoes -- all dressed up with seasonings and even a sprinkling of reduced-fat cheddar, if you like.
- 2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 cups steamed or microwaved cauliflower florets, cooked just until tender
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk, (fat-free half-and-half can be substituted) use more if needed
- 1-2 sprinkles paprika or garlic powder (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Step 1
- Put hot potato pieces, cauliflower florets, and grated cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium-low speed until nicely mashed. Pour in milk, and continue to beat until blended. Add a tablespoon or two more of milk if needed for desired consistency.
- Step 2
- Add a touch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder or paprika (if desired) to taste.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.