Serve these light pancakes with our Chunky Blueberry Sauce, maple syrup or honey. Sprinkling the berries on top of the cooking pancakes ensures even distribution. Keep finished pancakes warm in a 200°F oven, if desired, while cooking the rest.
Yield: 4 servings, 2 pancakes each
Total Time: 40
Prep Time: 40
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg in a small bowl. Whisk ricotta, egg, egg white, buttermilk, lemon zest and juice in a large bowl until smooth. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Brush a large nonstick skillet with 1/2 teaspoon oil and place over medium heat until hot. Using a generous 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, pour the batter for 2 pancakes into the pan, sprinkle blueberries on each pancake and cook until the edges are dry and bubbles begin to form, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining oil, batter and berries, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning.
Per serving: 237 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono ); 68 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 3 g fiber; 334 mg sodium; 135 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (24% daily value), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges:2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
Special Health Considerations:
Healthy Weight - High Calcium - Low Sodium - Low Sat Fat - Low Calorie - Heart Healthy - Diabetes Appropriate
See More Nutrition Guidelines
Degree of Difficulty
Seasons & Occasions
Fourth of July
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com
Find more WebMD recipes on the Recipe Finder