This dish gives you the health benefits of broccoli and tomatoes.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes in tomato puree, Italian-style, if available
- 1 pound broccoli florets, about 5 cups
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- pepper, to taste
- Step 1
- Heat oil in a large, covered, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for a minute or two, stirring constantly.
- Step 2
- Pour in the diced tomatoes with puree and cook about five minutes (reduce heat to medium-low, if needed, to keep it at a gentle boil).
- Step 3
- Place the broccoli on top of the tomatoes and season with pepper. Cover skillet and simmer over low heat for five minutes. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top, cover skillet again, and continue cooking until broccoli is tender (about 4 minutes more). Do not overcook the broccoli; it should be a vibrant green. Serve as is, or toss the broccoli with the marinara sauce and enjoy!
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.