WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 1 hr 5 mins
Winter squash contributes a rich, full flavor to a simple barley pilaf. Gremolata, an Italian mixture of parsley, lemon zest and garlic, gives the dish a lively finish. The pilaf is an excellent accompaniment to chicken and pork, but would stand on its own with the addition of Parmesan.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash, 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, water, barley and squash; bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the barley and squash are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 45 minutes. Add parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper; mix gently.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com