ripe and firm Red Bliss potatoes, -- about 2 pounds
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
tarragon, -- fresh, snipped, or dried
organic extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a large pot of fresh cold water to boil. Add some sea salt.
- Wash off the potatoes; leave the skins on. Cut the potatoes into quarters or bite size chunks. Put them into the water and simmer until fork tender -- about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice the onion.
- Drain the potatoes well and pour them into a large bowl. Add the onion and lightly mix. Add enough extra virgin olive oil to moisten the potatoes -- about 1/4 cup or so. Drizzle liberally with the Champagne vinegar and toss. Taste-test.
- Add more if needed. Don't be stingy.
- Season with sea salt, cracked pepper, and tarragon. Mix well with a wooden spoon. I like to soften the shape of some of the potatoes, but not all. I prefer my potato salad with some definition.
- And now you have a choice. You can serve it warm, which is divine. Or cover and chill it. Once chilled, taste-test for seasoning adjustments because the chilling process dampens the flavors a bit.
Karina's Tip: Got leftover potato salad? We use our leftover potato salad as a topping on spicy shepherd's pie. I layer the leftover salad on top of the filling and use a fork to mash the potatoes a bit. Then I bake the pie in a moderate oven until heated through and bubbling.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to