- 1 tablespoon no-trans-fat margarine, (with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons fat-free or light sour cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons quick-mixing flour
- 3/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg, or cayenne red pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded light cheese (or reduced-fat Swiss)
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Step 1
- In medium saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from heat; blend in the sour cream and flour to make a paste. Whisk in the milk and half-and-half and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Step 2
- Reduce heat to simmer, stir in salt, pepper, and cayenne, and stir frequently until the sauce thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Step 3
- Whisk in an additional tablespoon of flour, if needed, for desired thickness.
- Step 4
- Remove from heat, stir in shredded cheeses and stir well. Pour cheese into fondue pot or slow cooker set on high.
- Step 5
- Serve with cubes of sourdough or French bread, or lightly cooked vegetables (broccoli or cauliflower florets work well).
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.