Total Time: 25 Minutes
- 3 1/2 pounds broccoli, washed and drained (about 4 bunches)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 14 ounce cans fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups 1% milk
- 3 cups shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- Step 1
- Cut broccoli into small pieces, discarding any overly thick bottom stems.
- Step 2
- Boil broccoli in a medium saucepan until just tender to retain nutrients. Immediately rinse with cold water, drain, and refrigerate.
- Step 3
- In a large saucepan, saute green onions for about two minutes in butter or until tender.
- Step 4
- Stir in chicken broth and slowly add flour, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Bring to a slow boil on medium high heat, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 5
- Add broccoli pieces to the broth and puree mixture in an electric blender or food processor until smooth.
- Step 6
- Return soup to saucepan over low heat. Blend in milk and Swiss cheese and simmer gently until cheese melts but not until milk boils.
- Step 7
- Add nutmeg, grated pepper, or grated cheddar cheese to taste.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.