3 1/2 pounds
broccoli, washed and drained (about 4 bunches)
chopped green onion
2 14 ounce cans
fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- Cut broccoli into small pieces, discarding any overly thick bottom stems.
- Boil broccoli in a medium saucepan until just tender to retain nutrients. Immediately rinse with cold water, drain, and refrigerate.
- In a large saucepan, saute green onions for about two minutes in butter or until tender.
- Stir in chicken broth and slowly add flour, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Bring to a slow boil on medium high heat, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli pieces to the broth and puree mixture in an electric blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return soup to saucepan over low heat. Blend in milk and Swiss cheese and simmer gently until cheese melts but not until milk boils.
- Add nutmeg, grated pepper, or grated cheddar cheese to taste.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.