Total Time: 45 mins
- 1 roasted or rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded or cut into bite-size pieces (3 to 4 cups)
- 8 ounces reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese, or a reduced-fat blend of Jack and cheddar cheeses
- 2/3 cup green onions, chopped, white and part of the green
- 10 flour tortillas, (use higher-fiber tortillas to increase the fiber)
- 5 tablespoons fat free half-and-half
- 2 cups tomatillos, coarsely chopped (fresh or canned, drained)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2-4 ounce can green chilies, chopped (mild or hot, depending on your preference)
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with canola cooking spray.
- Step 2
- Add shredded chicken, green onions, and shredded cheese to a large mixing bowl and toss well to blend.
- Step 3
- One by one, heat tortillas in a nonstick frying pan until softened. Lay a heaping 1/3 cup of chicken down the middle of each tortilla. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of fat-free half-and-half down the center of each. Roll up the tortillas and place seam-side down in the prepared pan.
- Step 4
- Bake for about 25 minutes. Pan can be covered or uncovered – it works both ways.
- Step 5
- To make the verde sauce, add tomatillos, cilantro, and green chilies to a food processor and pulse briefly (the texture should be somewhat chunky, not pureed). Stir in the sour cream. Serve the enchiladas with a spoonful of verde sauce over the top.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.